- Preperation Time: 30 MINS
- Cooking Time: 2 HRS - 3 HRS
- Serves: 6
- 1-1¼kg/2¼-2¾ lb boned and rolled beef brisket
- 5 tbsp vegetable oil
- large knob of butter
- 2 large onions , halved and sliced
- 2-3 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 carrots , sliced
- 200-250g/8-9oz large flat mushrooms, stalks chopped and heads thinly sliced
- 500-550ml bottle brown ale or stout
- a few fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-2 tsp light muscovado sugar
- 500g parsnips , cut into wedges
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- chopped fresh parsley or thyme , to serve
Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas 5/fan oven 170C. Wash and dry brisket and season. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a deep casserole and brown beef all over. Remove from pan. Turn down heat, add butter and fry the onions, celery, carrots and mushroom stalks for 6-8 minutes. Return beef to pan and add beer, thyme, bay leaves and sugar.
Add water if necessary so the liquid comes about two-thirds up the beef. Season, bring to a simmer, cover tightly, and cook in the oven for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 160C/Gas 3/fan oven 140C and cook for 2 hours, turning twice, until tender. An hour before the beef is done, toss the parsnips in oil, season and roast on a baking tray above the beef for 50 mins - 1 hr until tender, turning once.
Turn oven up to 190C/Gas 5/fan oven 170C. Lift out the beef, tent with foil and keep warm. Stir the parsnips and mushroom caps into the beef juices. Check seasoning; add water if needed. Cover and cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes until mushrooms are tender. To serve, use a slotted spoon to remove vegetables and arrange round the beef. Spoon off the excess fat from the juices, then whisk in the mustard and pour into a jug. Moisten the beef with a little juice and scatter with parsley or thyme.